So you’ve got ants – what now?
Don’t fly spray them – most aerosol sprays are for flying insects and ants really couldn’t care. Only use ones that say ‘residual control for Ants’ to create a border around window sills, door frames, and plumbed areas.
- Clean them – use a damp cloth to wipe them away. They might go back to their nests and shift.
- Trial them – ants are fussy eaters and at different stages want either Carbohydrates or Proteins. Buy small quantities and see if they like it – if ants don’t go near it you’ll just have to try something else. Fickle!
- Bait them – for gels and baits place every 40cm along their trail.
- Tape them – if bait is not ready-to-use try a pea sized drop on masking tape.
- Beach them – use Ant Sand on outside nests and trials, in gaps in patios and paths, and in pot plants.
- Squeal on them – if they don’t go call in the professionals.
ID them – If they haven’t got their ID’s on them try and identify them so you can buy the right products.
Argentine Ant – smaller, light to dark brown, walk in mass, eat anything including dead
- Darwin Ant – 2-3 mm , dark brown, can often smell them if disturbed or squashed.
- White Footed Ant- smaller, dark colour, found a lot inside the fabric of a building.
- Black Ant – smaller, mostly in gardens.
How can I keep them at bay in the future?
Let’s be proactive and discuss what you can do to reduce ants in the home.
- Hide it – keep sweet liquids in the fridge, and sugar in air tight containers.
- Zip it – use zip tight bags or air tight containers for all open packets.
- Clean it – working surfaces, floor, pantry shelves, pet food bowls, used cans and bottles, plates etc.
- Pick it up – they love spilled food especially drinks.
- Pot it – check pot plants for secondary nests.
- Throw it – throw food waste straight outside to compost or sealed rubbish bin.
- Keep it away – all Rubbish/recycling bins/compost need to be away from the house and away from brick/ tiled surfaces and decking areas.
- Pick it up – fallen fruit/dead insects or birds etc.
- BBQ it – keep BBQ clean of spilt fats and clean drip tray regularly.
- Lift it – check underneath potted plants and visually check the soil for nests.
Information kindly provided by Express Pest Control 0800 394 737