Before proceeding with calling us regarding repairs or maintenance, please use this Troubleshooting Guide first, to avoid any unnecessary call outs and costs that could be incurred to you. If these tips don’t fix the issue then please fill out a maintenance request form on our website www.bolitho.co.nz.
After moving into your new home please contact the electricity supplier and have the account changed to your name.
- Have you checked your fuse box? There may have been an overload and the fuse has blown or tripped the circuit breaker. Reset the circuit breaker or replace the fuse if needed.
- A faulty appliance can result in a circuit breaker tripping or fuse blowing and power points not working. To check these unplug all appliances in the house. Reset the fuse or circuit breaker in the meter box. Plug in each appliance and turn on the power point, check the fuse. If the fuse blows or the circuit breaker clicks off then you know that that appliance is faulty and you will need to get it repaired or replaced.
No Hot Water or water is only warm
- Check the fuse/circuit breaker in the meter box. Fix fuse or reset circuit breaker.
- Check that the switch in the hot water cupboard hasn’t been accidentally turned off.
Lights not working or bulbs keep blowing working
Check that the bulb has not blown, replace as needed
- If light bulbs keep blowing buying better quality bulbs can fix this.
- Is the light bulb a higher wattage than recommended? Replace with the recommended light bulb.
Oven/ Elements not working
Check the connections to make sure they are not loose or dirty. (Simpson ranges only) Sometimes pulling the element out and cleaning them and putting back in again can fix the problem
- If the oven is set on automatic it will not work. Changing the controls back to the manual function will resolve this.
For a water leak under washing machine –
- Tighten hot and cold washing machine pipes on taps and machine. If this doesn’t work then replace washers in pipes – can be brought from a hardware supplier
Water Leaks – please fill out a maintenance request form on www.bolitho.co.nz – tenant’s page for any of the following problems.
- Water flowing from ground indicates a broken water pipe
- Water or dampness on floor around shower, bath, toilet or wetness on shelf under sink, vanity or laundry tub indicates a leak.
- Taps dripping, toilet cistern running into toilet pan or running out of overflow pipe.
- Water running out of header tank overflow pipe out of soffit.
Garbage disposal is not working
Check that the switch underneath the sink it turned on.
- Sometimes the reset switch may need resetting. This is normally a little red or black button underneath the bottom of the garbage disposal unit. You may have to get on your hands and knees to find the switch. This switch can be activated by an overload and simply needs to be reset.
- Check for a blockage in the sink/blades, maybe a utensil fallen down the plughole. IMPORTANT – Before putting hands down the sink to check for blockages, make sure the unit is turned off at the wall and unplugged.
Kitchen/Bathroom sink is blocked
Use some Draino to try and free the blockage.
- Ensure that you have cleared hairs and old soap from the waste. Pour boiling water down the drain, this should clear the blockage.
- Ensure that you removed old food from the kitchen waste and poured boiling water down the drain. Do not put fat and oil into the drain as these will clog up the pipes.
Unless otherwise specified on the tenancy agreement, all lawn mowing, weed killing and general upkeep of gardens is the responsibility of the tenant.
- If you are unable to regularly maintain the gardens and lawns contact your Property Manager and discuss options of employing a contractor.